Back to top  
Text size
Search local organisations

Upper Denby St John the Evangelist Church

Description

  1. A variety of events and services take place at Denby church. All are welcome to get involved and enjoy this beautiful historic church and its countryside surroundings. There are also room hire facilities and film shows.

    More details and contacts on the website.


Contacts

Monica Price
Churchwarden


12 Lower Denby Lane Lower Denby
Huddersfield HD8 8TY

01484 862283

Upper Denby St John the Evangelist Church image

Venue

  1. Upper Denby St John the Evangelist Parish Church, Denby Lane, Upper Denby, HD8 8UN
    1. All key services are accessible. Wheelchair access
    2. Either, there are specially marked parking spaces for disabled people, or disabled people can park within 50 metres of an accessible entrance. Disabled parking
    3. There is a toilet which can be accessed by people with disabilities including wheelchair users. This means that it complies with the standards set out in Part M of the Building Regulations,'Access to and use of buildings. Fully accessible toilet
    4. There is a loop system. Please contact the venue if you need further information. Loop system

History

  1. St John the Evangelist Church Interior
  2. Denby was a Danish settlement dating back to the 9th century. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The parish covers an area of approx. 15sq miles and has a population of around 1650. It comprises the village itself and an extension of it to the East (Lower Denby) and 3 hamlets of Ingbirchworth situated approx. 1 mile to the South and High Flatts and Birdsedge approx. 1 mile and 1.5 miles respectively to the North.

    Denby was originally part of the Parish of Penistone whose church was built around 1200. The Vicar of Penistone is still a Patron of St Johns Church in Denby.

    The villagers of Denby had to walk to church in Penistone or travel in carts. In Winter this was difficult and it was almost impossible to cross the waters of Scout Dyke.

    In 1626, 13 parishioners were drowned trying to cross on their way to church and the villagers applied for a licence from the Archbishop of York Tobias Matthew to build a chapel in Denby itself.

    In 1853 an order was signed by Queen Victoria making Denby into a separate parish to include the villages of Gunthwaite, Ingbirchworth, High Flatts and Birdsedge. It now became the Parish Church of Denby and so it continued until 1900 when it was closed for restoration.

    In 1990 Denby Parish was joined with Cumberworth and Denby Dale to form a United Benefice.

Share this page