Councillor Charles Cyril Kenchington, M.B.E., Major (Retired)
Term of Office: 1978 - 1979
Mayoress: Mrs Edith Kenchington
Deputy Mayor: Councillor Alice Kilburn
Assistant Mayor: Councillor Mary Harwood
- Enlisted in the 1st Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s Regiment (West Riding) in 1931.
- Served in the Second World War at Dunkirk and in the Indian Empire.
- Served in the North-West Frontier Province, the British Mandate for Palestine and in the Korean War, being involved in the Battle of the Hook.
- During this time he was awarded ten campaign medals and two Certificates of Merit.
- While serving as Quartermaster with the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment in Palestine in 1945, he was appointed a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.
- Retired from the British Army in 1965.
- Elected to the County Borough of Huddersfield Council in 1971 and subsequently re-elected to Kirklees Metropolitan Council.
- Served as Chairman of the Development and Technical Services Committee (Estates and Properties) and on the Resources and Planning Committee (Economic Development).
- Also served on Development and Technical Services Committee (Public Works).
- Member of Huddersfield Town Centre Working Party.
- President of Huddersfield Pipe Band, Huddersfield and District Army Veteran’s Association, Oakes and Quarmby Old people’s Committee and the Dunkirk Veteran’s Association.
- Died in 1998 aged eighty six.